Cockroaches live in a wide range of environments around the United States. They are a pest insect species that can readily adapt to a variety of environments.,They prefer warm conditions found within buildings. The spines on the legs were earlier considered to be sensory, but observations of their locomotion on sand and wire meshes have demonstrated they help in locomotion on difficult terrain. Cockroaches leave chemical trails in their feces, as well as emitting airborne pheromones for swarming and mating. These chemical trails transmit bacteria onto surfaces.Other cockroaches will follow these trails to discover sources of food and water, and also discover where other cockroaches are hiding.
Cockroaches are generally rather large insects. Most species are about the size of a thumbnail, but several species are bigger. Cockroaches have broad, flattened bodies and relatively small heads. They are generalized insects, with few special adaptations, and may be among the most primitive living insects. The mouthparts are on the underside of the head and include generalized chewing mandibles. They have large compound eyes, two ocelli, and long, flexible, antenna. The legs are sturdy, with large coxae and five claws each.
- Your home provides the perfect environment for roaches to live year round. It has warmth, water, and lots of cracks and crevices to hide.
- Cockroaches can enter you home through extremely small areas. Any unsealed crack or hole is an entry point for roaches.
- Just because you are able to kill the roaches you see, does not mean you have solved the problem. Roaches are able to hide their nests well and the eggs will often be left to hatch later
- Roaches are fairly quick breeders. They will continue to build and expand their nests in the walls of your home year round.
- Roaches can cause allergic reactions in some people. The droppings and shed skin can trigger allergies in some people.
- A Roach can go for a month at a time without food. It is difficult to starve out a cockroach.
Cockroach extermination is the best way to handle this pest insect. Many of the home remedies that are out there will help you to eliminate the roaches that you are able to see. The problem is that they don’t take care of the root problem. You need to eliminate roaches from their nests. If the eggs are left untreated, the roaches will continue to return. A professional roach exterminator will seek out the entrance points and the nests of the roaches. By treating these areas, they can make sure that the roaches don’t return.